At Eldorado, we believe in the power of education to help transform lives and communities around the world. We are proud to support education initiatives in the communities where we operate, and work with our suppliers, contractors and partners in government to advance quality education as a critical pillar of sustainable development.
In our latest blog series, we explore educational initiatives that we are proud to support across our global operations.
In this first post, we learn about how Hellas Gold, our subsidiary in Greece, is inspiring future generations with the values of responsible mining and respect for both people and the environment through the best practices we have adopted.
Field Trips in 2018
In 2018, more than 700 students visited our Kassandra Mines in northern Greece. Students from Greece and abroad had the opportunity to visit our Olympias, Skouries, and Stratoni mines in Halkidiki and learn more about what we are doing in the region.
In 2018, we welcomed the next generation of scientists from the following schools:
- National Technical University of Athens (Greece)
- Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (Greece)
- University of Patra (Greece)
- Democritus University of Thrace (Greece)
- Technical University of Xanthi (Greece)
- Queen’s University (Canada)
- UNB Earth Sciences (Canada)
- University of Liège (Belgium)
During a typical visit, students get an opportunity to interact with several departments, including exploration, environment, and health & safety.
They also learn about the:
- history of mining in the region;
- the geology of the mines;
- modern mining methods;
- innovative techniques;
- as well as environmental protection works.
Our teams are proud to lead students on tours of our sites. It’s a great opportunity to use the Kassandra mines as a classroom for a day. Check out this short highlight video about student visits at Hellas Gold.
Have you ever wanted to take a tour of an operating mine site – well now you can! Without even leaving your home or office, you can take a virtual tour each of our operating mines around the globe, as well as some of our key development projects.
Take a tour of Olympias – an underground gold-silver-lead-zine mine located in Greece.
To tour our other sites, please click on the links below.
Check back for more posts in this series where we will learn more about:
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) & Robotics camp in Greece
- Stope School in Val-d’Or, Quebec
- Integration in the workplace of future students from the Lac Simon Anishnabe Nation, Quebec